Friday, June 17, 2011

A Smile is Universal but the “look” May Not Be

Once we arrived in Chicago on June 6 we were all moving rapidly through Chicago O’hara International Airport.  We were waiting patiently to board the Korean Air. I took pictures of the double decker airplane.  The atmosphere shifted as we sat in the terminal.  The Asians just smiled.  No words just a smile and the “look”.  The “look” is a stare.  I was raised to not stare…somehow my elders believed that it was simply impolite.  But people in the terminal would give you the “look” and hope that you did not notice.  If you did it turned into a smile.  The “look” was filled with questions.  I imagine that they were wondering in their heads the following questions and thoughts about me and the rest of the members of the Indonesia Study Abroad  group:
Is that Michelle Obama? 
Where are they going? Korea?
What will they do in Asia?
What is that?
Why are they smiling at us?
Are they Africans?
Are they Americans?
I hope they talk to me, but if they don’t I will talk to them.
I knew that I was dressing like Americans!
Look at her outfit.
Look at his outfit.
Look at their outfits.
Perhaps they had pleasant thoughts and just wanted to smile.  The smile is universal.:) Have you smiled today at someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment