Saturday, June 18, 2011

Batik Fridays in Indonesia....Everyday Batik is worn in Indonesia!

So have you ever heard of Batik?  My colleagues on this Indonesia Study Abroad called my shirt that I bought in Plains, Georgia my Batik print!  Too funny!  It is not! They are just crazy and say funny stuff about anybody at any given time!

I know Kierra! You begged your Aunt Trina not to ever wear this shirt again but I like it sooooo much!
I made my own Batik for real at an Indonesian clothing store.  Check out these pictures....
Okay so the lady had to help me just a little bit!!

The finished product looked really nice!
At this store I spent 600,000 rupiah on souvenirs for family and friends who invested in me to study abroad in Indonesia Summer 2011 (it is never too late to invest in this international scholar....I still have a huge bill to pay:))  Okay!  So Batik Fridays look awesome!  All the Indonesians (mostly in Jakarta and in President University in Cikarang, Indonesia...those are the places that I spend most of my study abroad days) are wearing this very unique print.  It can be dressed up or down just depends on the look that you want to portray!  If I could afford it....I would buy one of these multi-million dollar Batik evening gowns!  Since I have friends in Indonesia....I will have to send monies to Indonesia for this elegant purchase.  I would love to renew my vows (at our 10 year anniversary next year) wearing a gown that is featured in the last photo.  It says....I still do love you!  I wonder if the love of my life would wear it?  I think he would if I bought and it highlighted his good sides!  But seriously, at the Jakarta Convention Center on Saturday, June 18, 2011, they were selling Batik in the entire convention center.....I could only find Victoria a beautiful beaded batik blouse.  That is a start to the Batik vow renewal of the century....Mr. and Mrs. Vladimir Williams!
Per Wikipedia
Batik (Javanese pronunciation: [ˈbateʔ]Indonesian: [ˈbatɪʔ]English: /ˈbætɪk/ or /bəˈtiːk/) is a cloth that traditionally uses a manual wax-resist dyeing technique. Batik or fabrics with the traditional batik patterns are found in IndonesiaMalaysiaJapan,ChinaAzerbaijanIndiaSri LankaEgyptNigeriaSenegal, and Singapore.
Javanese traditional batik, especially from Yogyakarta and Surakarta, has notable meanings rooted to the Javanese conceptualization of the universe. Traditional colours include indigo, dark brown, and white, which represent the three majorHindu Gods (Brahmā, Visnu, and Śiva). This is related to the fact that natural dyes are most commonly available in indigo and brown. Certain patterns can only be worn by nobility; traditionally, wider stripes or wavy lines of greater width indicated higher rank. Consequently, during Javanese ceremonies, one could determine the royal lineage of a person by the cloth he or she was wearing.
Other regions of Indonesia have their own unique patterns that normally take themes from everyday lives, incorporating patterns such as flowers, nature, animals, folklore or people. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the designs and the history behind the concept. I don"t know if your hubby would wear it. But, knowing how much he loves and supports you he probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom you are right....He is the best husband in this world and would wear it just for me:)

    ReplyDelete